Social psychology is a branch of general psychology, and it is concerned with studying the social behavior of individuals in their social situations, that is, it includes the scope and social system in which the individual lives, and the extent of its influence on thinking, behavior, feelings, and patterns of interaction.
Social psychology is concerned with studying and understanding psychological processes, the ways they interact and are affected by social influences and variables, and the extent to which they contribute to the development and formation of the individual’s personality, and social psychology studies individuals’ states and their social and behavioral patterns in addition to experiencing and observing their understanding in the circle of the individual’s personality, and the social framework. The positivity of distinct and transient social experiences, and the level of the individual’s interaction with them.
The importance of social psychology
The importance of social psychology appears in all the interactive aspects of the individual’s social life and in all the environments with which he coexists, which can affect the interactions of the individual and build his personality. The international and global issues that peoples live with from states of wars, slavery, freedom, and security, and these important things are detailed as follows:
1: Practical importance :
All persons who come into contact with groups and individuals always and continuously need to study the principles of social psychology in order to understand and guide social behaviors, and its importance for different groups is evident as follows:
- The teacher: the teacher in the school environment and the classroom to an understanding of the pinkness and the classroom to an understanding of the air traffic in the classroom as a micro-social environment on the relationships and interactions between strategies, in addition to the importance of identifying social activities. Such as competition, cooperation, learning, and group thinking.
- Social worker: Social psychology is important for social workers in understanding and studying social organization and directing it to social cohesion, attitudes, intolerance, and leadership.
- Men in charge of business: Social psychology helps to understand the nature of the laws of human relations that exist between groups of workers in a specific domain, and the important relationship between the level of social spirituality and mental health and the level of production and achievement.
- The average person: the study of social psychology in daily life helps to achieve the greatest possible extent possible for the individual’s understanding of his own behavior and the external behavior of other individuals, and thus the understanding of the dynamics of interaction and communication with others, in addition to the cultural and social backgrounds by which behavioral patterns and manifestations are determined, making the individual capable of Good judgment in using the appropriate method for dealing with others, either with acceptance and sacrifice in some situations or with reluctance and aversion in other situations.
2 : Global significance :
Since its inception, social psychology has been dealing with future issues by warning of inevitable crises and problems, optimism about the proper construction of this future, and presenting proposals and predictive and remedial plans for economic and political problems, such as the problems of the emergence of wars and aggression, and the consequences thereof, and global financial crises. Global inclusiveness seeks to establish a high and virtuous society in which the opportunities available to individuals in various fields are equal to all members of society, and it has an important role in spreading the highest human ideals among individuals within the same community by effectively studying psychological and social phenomena through a research and experimental study, and it is possible to summarize these importance With the following points:
- Warning of future problems: it is possible to warn of future problems and crises by predicting them through the precursors and initial signs that may indicate the possibility of a specific problem emerging in a field and warn people about it without interfering in the course of events, but it is possible to direct social activity in light of current events.
- Building the future: Humanist scholars assert that a person can change the course of his life by directing his activities appropriately with achieving his goals and solving his problems. Just as a person has used biological sciences to raise the level of efficiency of the health aspect, he can use social psychology to seek social justice and build the future.
- Addressing political and economic problems: These problems appear as a result of an imbalance in the distribution of tasks, jobs, wealth, and efforts in inappropriate activities. This results from ignorance in understanding the social natures of the human being, which are the subject of psychological and social research that in turn establish the laws and basic principles for a normal social life.
Subject of Social Psychology
Social psychology studies the forms of social interaction in different environments, and the level of mutual influence between individuals with each other and between groups with each other, and between the school, the family, the employer and his employees, so that the various forms of social interaction emerge. Such as love, anger, cooperation, competition, and others, in addition to studying the consequences of these interactions, and among the most important issues and topics that social psychology has been interested in studying:
- The study of human nature and the extent to which it is affected by the cultural and social environment in which it arises.
- Methods and methods of social upbringing according to which the child grows up and advances in his age and developmental stages.
- Researching anomalous and abnormal interaction patterns of social life. Such as problems of addiction, unemployment, and crime, in addition to the disorders and deviations that may appear on the behavior of young people and young people.
- Methods and methods of social interaction, and how it occurs in different societies.
- Public opinion trends, and the extent to which it is affected by attitudes and opinions, and the implications of the spread of different media outlets, while studying the level of their influence on individuals.